LESSON PLANS 2023 SPRING TERM Lesson 3 - another go at the mixed media madness.
My students had some great experiences re-negotiating their drawings in the last sessions. They began by disrupting them with some collage and then pulling them back into focus with a collection of various media. In this lesson I'm asking them to have one more go and really push out the boat with their experimentations. Above is a random selection of some of the work done last week. It was all excellent!
Spring Term 2023 lesson 3 Still Life: Looking from all angles. One more week of this mad mixed media thing.
· In the last session you were made to disrupt your drawings before getting to work on them with your various media. The idea was to see how you could bring a disrupted drawing back into focus - to make it what you’d wanted it to be originally and to learn that it was possible to re-negotiate quite extreme changes. It required finding whichever medium it was that was able to impose new marks over the top of that which you wished to change.
· With these new experiences you can now take any sketch/drawing and re-work it using some of the techniques you used last week and perhaps trying some different ones as well.
· Choose the drawing you wish to work on OR set a still life up in front of you and make a sketch/drawing which you can disrupt and negotiate.
· As we did last week, stick some pieces of white paper, origami paper (any paper!) to your drawing so that you lose some of the information.
· Now work out ways of re-finding the elements of your drawing which have disappeared under the stuck-on paper.
· Reveal shapes, paint over shapes, take risks knowing that you can make changes and corrections.
Next lesson: Time to get back to some classic watercolour and some lovely colourful flowers. Bring a small bunch of flowers and foliage, bring a nice clean jam jar to put them in and bring watercolours, watercolour paper and watercolour brushes. We’ll dive straight into classic watercolour.