LESSON PLANS SUMMER TERM 2023 (1st half). Lesson 3 - Landscape painting from the working drawing.
In the last session my students began a more finished piece from their working drawings. This session will be about finishing those pieces of work and, if time allows, making another kind of sketch/study from the original drawings. This next sketch will be looser, freer and more experimental.
Summer Term 1st half 2023 – lesson 3: Finish your landscape painting OR make a watercolour sketch from your original drawing and include an extra medium (pencil, colour pencil, pastel etc.).
· Use your working drawing as your template again. This is your chance to experiment freely.
· Follow the following instructions without judgement – don’t think, just do.
· Mix up a saucer of pale wash colour (yellow ochre is good).
· Using a large brush and a pale wash of colour, cover your page except for the places you want to leave white. Leave the light places dry, the white of your page represents your light shapes.
· (You could use a two-colour wash, have two saucers of colour mixed and ready.)
· While this wash is still wet, drip, drop, place, paint some more detail into the wet wash. Let the colours move about. Use colour instinctively (i.e. choose the colours you like).
· As your painting dries, add more detail. Refer to your original drawing each time you want information about what to paint. Your drawing holds the information you need.
· Finally, once your painting is 100% dry, add another medium to help create detail, tone and texture.
· This final addition of a new medium gives you a chance to control the detail – to add detail to some of the looser paint-work on your painting.
Next lesson: Cool colours and warm colours. Bring two oranges, colour pencils and sketch book or cartridge paper.